E-Commerce • Conversion rate optimization • Digital strategy • Web analytics • A/B testing • Site architecture •
Search engine optimization (SEO) • Content strategy • User experience (UX) • Usability testing • Program Management • Public Speaking
The secret of joy in work is contained in one word: excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it.
OPTORO, Washington, DC
Senior Director, Site Experience, May 2015 – present
- In collaboration with stakeholder teams, prioritize projects, write business and functional requirements, perform UAT, conduct vendor evaluations; launched and manage third-party integrations, including A/B testing platform.
- Manage web analytics programs and reporting functions. Develop quantitative insights from A/B testing, Google Analytics, Quantcast, CrazyEgg and other data tools to make actionable recommendations.
- Generate buyer insights through surveys and analysis of NPS feedback, site reviews, product reviews, customer service data, other qualitative feedback mechanisms. Develop user journeys, usability test plans and audience research projects.
- Oversee B2C user experience improvements, feature development and optimization/testing program.
- Manage content and marketing analytics team. Work cross-functionally with stakeholders — including acquisition marketing, retention marketing, customer care, business development and IT teams — to build consensus and ensure strategic goals are met.
Director, Digital Marketing, February 2014 – May 2015
- Built digital analytics framework, including data auditing and rollout of extensive campaign tagging and event tracking protocols to measure site performance and identify opportunities.
- Developed and executed content strategy, including WordPress blog launch with team of in-house and freelance contributors. Launched BLINQ social media program.
- Planned and executed weekly promotions. Ran inaugural BLINQ.com holiday marketing campaign, choosing promotions, overseeing graphics developments and promotions calendar, optimizing based on data.
PUBLIC BROADCASTING SERVICE (PBS), Crystal City, VA
Director, New Media, April 2010 – February 2014
- Serve as in-house SEO consultant and content strategist for PBS’ online properties; responsible for defining best practices and product requirements across multiple web properties.
- Deliver training and provide producer-specific SEO consulting for beloved PBS brands such as Masterpiece, NOVA and others.
- Provide ongoing data and metrics analysis to help web producers and other decision makers capitalize on promotions opportunities; track traffic and engagement stats and make data-driven editorial decisions; developed cross-departmental campaign tagging conventions to improve tracking and analysis.
- Developed content strategy framework and training program that has been rolled out to over 50 public media stations.
RED ENGINE DIGITAL, McLean, VA
Director, SEO and Internet Strategy, February 2009 – April 2010
- Planned and managed all social media messaging for CARE; utilized Facebook and Twitter to generate user engagement and donations in the aftermath of the Haiti earthquake. (See DMNews: CARE Reaches Donors by Joining Search, Social)
- Executed SEO strategies for variety of nonprofit, association and government clients, working in tight coordination with client and third-party technical teams to increase search engine rankings and drive more qualified traffic; SEO engagement for one association client resulted in a 380% increase in traffic for target terms.
- Co-chaired: DMAW’s Social Media Day conference.
NEW MEDIA STRATEGIES, Arlington, VA
Sr. Manager, Search Engine Optimization, January 2008 – February 2009
- Partnered with client services teams to incorporate SEO into ongoing social media campaigns.
- Consulted on consumer-facing social media strategies utilizing communities like Twitter, Digg, StumbleUpon, Flickr and other Web 2.0 platforms.
- Coached internal social media teams on content development tactics for blogs.
INPHONIC, INC (Wirefly.com), Washington, DC
Sr. Manager, Search Engine Optimization, May 2005 – January 2008
- Launched SEO program for InPhonic’s largest e-commerce Web site, Wirefly. Directed on-site, off-site and technical aspects of SEO strategy, including multiple microsites.
- Managed staff of full-time copywriters and SEO marketers engaged in content creation, competitive research, social media optimization, etc.
- Responsible for driving sales in the highly profitable organic search sales channel.
- Executed a successful and far-reaching online reputation management (ORM) campaign.
U.S. CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, Washington, DC
Electronic Content Editor, July 2002 – May 2005
- Maintained editorial and technical quality assurance for online communications, including newsletters and corporate Web site.
- Produced in-house style guides and training materials, and educated authors on best practices.
- Created original content for Web site and flagship e-mail newsletter, as well as edited content of affiliated electronic publications.
- Ghostwrote weekly commentary bylined by U.S. Chamber president and CEO, and reported on legislative news
- managed setup and technical production of all electronic newsletters and other communications using broadcast e-mail program.
- In coordination with the Art and IT departments, created and implemented HTML templates and standards.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION (TIA), Arlington, VA
Manager, Publications, April 2000 – July 2002
- Managed editing, copy writing, production, distribution and content sharing agreements of online and traditional publications, as well as marketing collateral.
- Researched and wrote feature articles to support TIA positions and promote the association’s visibility.
- Coordinated content portion of award-winning Web site redesign Maintained quality control of e-mail marketing campaign, Web site content and print promotions.
- Led promotion of 300-page market review publication — including developing marketing plan, coordinating public relations efforts and managing distribution channels.
- Edited and produced annual reports, including award-winning Standards & Technology Annual Report (STAR).
Volunteer Work & Speaking Engagements
Conferences: Received outstanding audience reviews as a featured speaker at regional and national conferences including CONFAB 2012, SEO In-House Exchange (@ SMX East 2012, 2013), Digital East, Internet Summit Raleigh, Dallas Digital Summit, iMA 2013 and others. Occasional guest speaker at University of Maryland graduate school and local marketing meetups.
Washington Literacy Center: Classroom instructor and tutor, teaching reading skills to adult learners.
Phoenix Landing Foundation: Lead workshops and teach classes on husbandry topics for mid-Atlantic region animal welfare agency.
Education and Distinctions
GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY, Washington, DC
Graduate School of Foreign Service
M.A. German and European Studies
Center for German and European Studies Merit Scholarship
SANTA CLARA UNIVERSITY, Santa Clara, CA
B.S. Political Science
Magna cum laude
Phi Beta Kappa
Shallo Prize for achievement in Political Science
Study abroad merit scholar, Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, Germany