What I do: Search engine optimization (SEO), content strategy, online marketing and social media.
The secret of joy in work is contained in one word: excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it.
PUBLIC BROADCASTING SERVICE (PBS), Crystal City, VA
Director, New Media, May 2010 – present
- Serve as in-house SEO consultant and content strategist for PBS’ online properties; responsible for defining best practices and product requirements across multiple web properties.
- Deliver training and provide producer-specific SEO consulting for beloved PBS brands such as Masterpiece, NOVA and others.
- Provide ongoing data and metrics analysis to help web producers and other decision makers capitalize on promotions opportunities; track traffic and engagement stats and make data-driven editorial decisions; developed cross-departmental campaign tagging conventions to improve tracking and analysis.
- Developed content strategy framework and training program that has been rolled out to over 50 public media stations.
RED ENGINE DIGITAL, McLean, VA
Director, SEO and Internet Strategy, February 2009 – April 2010
- Planned and managed all social media messaging for CARE; utilized Facebook and Twitter to generate user engagement and donations in the aftermath of the Haiti earthquake. (See DMNews: CARE Reaches Donors by Joining Search, Social)
- Executed SEO strategies for variety of nonprofit, association and government clients, working in tight coordination with client and third-party technical teams to increase search engine rankings and drive more qualified traffic; SEO engagement for one association client resulted in a 380% increase in traffic for target terms.
- Co-chaired: DMAW’s Social Media Day conference.
NEW MEDIA STRATEGIES, Arlington, VA
Sr. Manager, Search Engine Optimization, January 2008 – February 2009
- Partnered with client services teams to incorporate SEO into ongoing social media campaigns.
- Consulted on consumer-facing social media strategies utilizing communities like Twitter, Digg, StumbleUpon, Flickr and other Web 2.0 platforms.
- Coached internal social media teams on content development tactics for blogs.
INPHONIC, INC (Wirefly.com), Washington, DC
Sr. Manager, Search Engine Optimization, May 2005 – January 2008
- Launched SEO program for InPhonic’s largest e-commerce Web site, Wirefly. Directed on-site, off-site and technical aspects of SEO strategy, including multiple microsites.
- Managed staff of full-time copywriters and SEO marketers engaged in content creation, competitive research, social media optimization, etc.
- Responsible for driving sales in the highly profitable organic search sales channel.
- Executed a successful and far-reaching online reputation management (ORM) campaign.
U.S. CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, Washington, DC
Electronic Content Editor, July 2002 – May 2005
- Maintained editorial and technical quality assurance for online communications, including newsletters and corporate Web site.
- Produced in-house style guides and training materials, and educated authors on best practices.
- Created original content for Web site and flagship e-mail newsletter, as well as edited content of affiliated electronic publications.
- Ghostwrote weekly commentary bylined by U.S. Chamber president and CEO, and reported on legislative news
- managed setup and technical production of all electronic newsletters and other communications using broadcast e-mail program.
- In coordination with the Art and IT departments, created and implemented HTML templates and standards.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION (TIA), Arlington, VA
Manager, Publications, April 2000 – July 2002
- Managed editing, copy writing, production, distribution and content sharing agreements of online and traditional publications, as well as marketing collateral.
- Researched and wrote feature articles to support TIA positions and promote the association’s visibility.
- Coordinated content portion of award-winning Web site redesign Maintained quality control of e-mail marketing campaign, Web site content and print promotions.
- Led promotion of 300-page market review publication — including developing marketing plan, coordinating public relations efforts and managing distribution channels.
- Edited and produced annual reports, including award-winning Standards & Technology Annual Report (STAR).
Recent Speaking Engagements
CONFAB 2012, Digital East 2012, Internet Summit Raleigh, SEO In-House Exchange at SMX, Dallas Digital Summit, iMA 2013
Budding photographer, operate several blogs, moderate special interest message board, and provide volunteer marketing assistance to local animal-welfare 501(c)(3) group.
Education and Distinctions
GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY, Washington, DC
Graduate School of Foreign Service
M.A. German and European Studies
Center for German and European Studies Merit Scholarship
SANTA CLARA UNIVERSITY, Santa Clara, CA
B.S. Political Science
Magna cum laude
Phi Beta Kappa
Shallo Prize for achievement in Political Science
Study abroad merit scholar, Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, Germany